The development of the current plugin is stopped. You can make the plugin development process again with the help of your donation. Thanks in advance.

Donate

This plugin is used when there are words, words expressions or sentences to be explained in the posts or pages of your WordPress blog. This plugin will help to read the explanations of the words (words expressions, sentences) you need via tooltips.

screenshot-1

In administration interface you can do the following:
1. set the explanation tooltip width
2. select the explanation tooltip text align
3. set the explanation tooltip text font size
4. set the explanation tooltip text color
5. set the explanation tooltip border size
6. set the explanation tooltip border color
7. set the explanation tooltip background color
8. set the explanation tooltip padding
9. set the explanation tooltip border radius
10. set the explaining word (words expression, sentence) color

screenshot-2

screenshot-3

Download the plugin

A great plugin definitely goes well with one of the best hosing for wordpress. Read more about it on InMotionHosting.com.

330 Comments on WordPress plugin “Explanatory Dictionary”

1. ryan, if you think that this will confuse the reader not knowing which one is the link, you can configure the style of the words so, that the reader will not confuse.

DSilva, now you cannot do that, but maybe I’ll include the time in one of the new versions of the plugin.

Thank you.

2. JDB says:

Is there an issue with the plug-in in WordPress 3.0.3 ?
    Since I installed this version, the pop up seems not to work anymore.
    I get: “> in front of the text I was expected to have a pop-up link.
    This worked well in 3.0.1 I used the verion 2.0 of the dictionary.

Any idea ?

3. JDB, I tested the plugin in WordPress 3.0.3 and it works. Maybe the problem depends on the theme. What theme do you use?

Thank you.

4. JDB says:

Hi Ruben

I am using the std theme, I think: Twenty Ten 1.1 by the WordPress team
    Also using qtranslate plugin,, but that worked before as well.

5. Marcelo says:

Hello Ruben,

Thanks for your plugin man, it is great.

I was wondering if there is anyway to make the plugin not work on titles (h1, h2…)

My users love the tooltips, but when they appear on titles the design looks awful.

Thanks

6. JDB, I installed the qtranslate plugin and everything was OK. Can you write here the URL?

7. Marcelo, open the file explanatory-dictionary.php from the plugin directory and change the line 534 to

$content = preg_replace(‘/’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].'(?![^< |\[]*[>|\]]|(\[no explanation\])*(\[\/no explanation\])|()*(< \/h[1-6]>))/ui’, ‘$0‘, $content, $limit);

and the line 542 to

$content = preg_replace(‘/\b’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].’\b(?![^< |\[]*[>|\]]|(\[no explanation\])*(\[\/no explanation\])|()*(< \/h[1-6]>))/i’, ‘$0‘, $content, $limit);

and try.

Thank you.

8. JDB says:

Ruben,

I am testing on this site:
    URL is http://zero.piepedada.com/?page_id=2
    the issue is with: “>nul-energie woning

9. JDB, can you delete the phrase “nul-energie woning” and add again, but without any html tag and quot?

Thanks.

10. Marcelo says:

Ruben,

Do you mean me to add those lines? Because they are blank on the plugin file you referred to.

Can you tell me what text whould I substitute?

Thanks

11. JDB says:

Ruben,

it works now. I just re-entered the full definition;, after deleting it first.
    Tx for your support !

12. Marcelo, no I mean change the lines. And it is impossible that those lines are blank if you use the last version of the plugin. By the way, which version of the plugin do you use?

13. Marcelo says:

I have the version 2.0

The file explanatory-dictionary.php has those lines blank…

14. Marcelo, can you find this code please:

$content = preg_replace(‘/’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].'(?![^< |\[]*[>|\]]|(\[no explanation\])*(\[\/no explanation\]))/ui’, ‘$0‘, $content, $limit);

And write the line of the code.

Thank you.

15. Marcelo says:

I found this one
    $content = preg_replace(‘/’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].'(?![^|\]]|(\[no explanation\])*(\[\/no explanation\]))/ui’, ‘$0’, $content, $limit);

16. Marcelo, it is the code which I meant. Please write the line number of the code that you found. Thanks.

17. Marcelo says:

Lines 1067 and 1083

18. Marcelo, have you changed anything in the code of the plugin? If no, I’ll send the modified explanatory-dictionary.php file to your email and you’ll change it, OK?

19. Marcelo says:

I never changed anything…

If you can send me to my email, that would be awesome.

20. Marcelo says:

Thank you for your help Ruben! It is fixed! Awesome.

21. Dude says:

Hello Ruben,

First of all you plugin is awesome.

I use your plugin as a dream dictionary (A-Z index). How can turn off option on posts and pages??

22. Dude says:

P.S.

How can i add a search bar on A-Z index?
    tnx

23. Dude, what do you mean saying “How can i add a search bar on A-Z index?”?

And what about to turn off option on posts and pages, open the file explanatory-dictionary.php from the plugin directory and delete the lines 507 and 508:

add_filter(‘the_excerpt’, ‘add_explanatory_dictionary_words’);
    add_filter(‘the_content’, ‘add_explanatory_dictionary_words’);

Thank you.

24. Dude says:

I meant a search bar where you can search for a word, that has been added to a dictionary.
    Tnx for help!

25. Dude, unfortunately it is impossible now and maybe it will possible in one of the next versions of the plugin.

Thanks.

26. Dude says:

No problem Ruben. ty for answering my question.

27. Dude, I’ll create the search bar and inform you how to do it.

Thank you.

28. JDB says:

Ruben, I found the following

* when a carriage return is entered in the dictionary, I get a “> in front of the word in wordpress.
    * 2 examples can be found in http://zero.piepedada.com/?page_id=2
    * I tried with unicode on or off, same effect

also, the pop up is not displaying fully in both examples. Is there something wrong ?

29. JDB, it is because there are quots (“legale”) in the description. The bug will be fixed in the next version of the plugin and you can use quots without any problem.

Thank you.

30. JDB says:

Ruben,
    thanks this helps indeed.
    However, it is still going wrong when I add carriage return or line feeds. Then the whole text comes into the document instead of in the popup.
    Looks as if I want to format the dictionary entry a bit, than I have problems.

31. Tanguy says:

Hi,
    it’s a great plugin. I just wish my non-admin users could feed the dictionary with their own words, if possible with a moderation filter. This would be great in a teaching environment.

32. Anna says:

Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the plugin! I am using it to teach English to non-native speakers and I would like to give my students vocabulary tests in a different section of the post (without the explanatory dictionary turned on).

Is there anyway I can turn off the explanatory dictionary per word, perhaps using a span or div, similar to the way you can exclude some parts from translation using Gtranslate plugin – http://wordpress.org/extend/pl.....slate/faq/ ?

Thanks again!

33. yvan says:

Excellent blog! I definitely love how it’s easy on my eyes and also the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

34. JDB, where can I see the problem, that you’ve written?

Tanguy, unfortunately it is impossible now and maybe it will be possible in one of the next versions.

Anna, the words within the [no explanation][/no explanation] will not be explained.

yvan, good words! :)

Thank you.

35. Anna says:

Thanks for the help!

I’m also trying to turn off the tooltips for h1-6 tags using the code you gave to Marcelo. However, when I do a simple replace, ALL of the tooltips in the text (not just h1-h6 tags but in paragraphs as well) are turned off.

36. Steve says:

Ruben,

Wonderful plugin, does exactly what I need. Encountered one small problem. The site contains words which contain apostrophes, e.g. Myrad’il. These words do not appear with a tooltip. How may I fix this?

37. Steve, I think it is because the website automatically convert the single quotes (apostrophes) to left and right single quotation marks. Now I search a way to solve that problem, but there is no result. :(

38. Steve says:

For the time being, I replaced ‘ (39) with ` (96) and it works. Different character. I couldn’t find any proof it changed an apostrophe to a single quote as the words can’t, won’t or other english contractions will not work either. For my purposes, however, this workaround is fine.

39. Natski says:

Hi, thank you for this awesome plugin! It is exactly what I am looking for.

Is it possible to list out all the terms on a page (for users to see)?

Thanks~!

40. Red Reynolds says:

About to launch http://seemyiep.com/wordpress/ and am primarily using this great plugin to create a dictionary here: http://seemyiep.com/wordpress/definitions/

For me, using V2 of the plugin, I am not able to configure the tooltips to have only 1 or 2 show up per page… and none in headlines. I can see you recommended things above, but those line numbers don’t match what I am seeing in my file (though I am not a developer, I admit).

Thanks in advance for your help in figuring out how to limit tooltips to two per page with none in headings.

41. Natski, if you want to show all words (words expressions, sentences) with their explanations like a glossary in a post or a page, so add [explanatory dictionary] in it.

Red Reynolds, do you set 1 or 2 the value of “Limit” in the “Options” page? I’ve tested it and it works great.

Thank you.

42. Mirek says:

Ruben, thanks for your plugin. I need your dict on one page only, so is it possible to have somthing like “NOT Except 644″? I tried ” if(get_the_ID() !== $exclude) { return $content } instead of if(array_search(get_the_ID(),$exclude)!==false){…m but it doesn’t work. Thanks for help!

43. Mirek says:

Sorry, was too late yesterday. I got it. Thanks anyway :-)

44. Mónica says:

Hi Rubén,
    I have just read you will probably add a search field. It would be great! I need it! When will you publish such a version?
    Thanks! Gooooood!

45. Franz says:

Hi! I love this plugin!
    I have added [explanatory dictionary] to a page, but it shows only the terms starting with A; is it possible to have all terms in a single page, without using subpages?
    I cannot figure how to do this!
    Thanks!

46. Mónica, for some reasons I’ll start to update my plugins after this month.

Franz, it will be possible to show all terms in the new version of the plugin which will be realized after this month as I mentioned before.

Thank you.

47. Franz says:

Thank you Ruben!!!

48. Christopher says:

Hello Ruben,

I’ve installed your dictionary plugin on a wordpress site.

I activated it, added a term and definition.

I use the term on a post.

How do I link all of the terms I will use in posts to their definitions?

I do not find instructions for this in the Dictionary Options, Manager, or in the Plugins, Edit.

Christopher

49. kelljery says:

Hello,
    I notice that this plugin make wordpress display pages much slower (394ms when loading page according to firebug/yslow plugin for firefox).

Is there any way to improve this ?

Thanks
    kelljery

50. Christopher, please read this: http://wordpress.org/extend/pl.....tallation/. I think here is written what you want.

kelljery, unfortunately I have no way to improve this now. If you find anything concerning that please inform me.

Thank you.