The development of the current plugin is stopped. You can make the plugin development process again with the help of your donation. Thanks in advance.

Donate

This plugin is used when there are words, words expressions or sentences to be explained in the posts or pages of your WordPress blog. This plugin will help to read the explanations of the words (words expressions, sentences) you need via tooltips.

screenshot-1

In administration interface you can do the following:
1. set the explanation tooltip width
2. select the explanation tooltip text align
3. set the explanation tooltip text font size
4. set the explanation tooltip text color
5. set the explanation tooltip border size
6. set the explanation tooltip border color
7. set the explanation tooltip background color
8. set the explanation tooltip padding
9. set the explanation tooltip border radius
10. set the explaining word (words expression, sentence) color

screenshot-2

screenshot-3

Download the plugin

A great plugin definitely goes well with one of the best hosing for wordpress. Read more about it on InMotionHosting.com.

330 Comments on WordPress plugin “Explanatory Dictionary”

1. KC Gagne says:

Have you implemented the full page dictionary yet? I’d love the code! I’ll donate. Let me know. Thanks.

2. larry says:

I really like the plugin but i had to delete line 519: >>> $content = str_ireplace(“[explanatory dictionary]”,$explanatory_dictionary_content,$content); <<< because were showing that as a code error. I know this is for the glossary page. How can I fix this?

3. larry,

Replace the “str_ireplace” to “str_replace” and everything will be OK. The server has to support PHP5 for using “str_ireplace” function.

4. Mindspins says:

I realy like your plugin! Still it would be nice if it was possible to integrate an alphabetical navigation on “[explanatory dictionary]” page.

5. Mindspins says:

Another question: Is there a way to exclude words? If, for instance you give the explanation of “art”, you don’t want it to appear when you have “artificial” in your content.

6. Mindspins,

Thank you for your replies. The alphabetical navigation will be integrated on “[explanatory dictionary]” page in the new version soon. And what about your second question – if you don’t use unicode, uncheck the “Unicode” checkbox and the problem has to be solved.

7. Mindspins says:

@Ruben: That did the trick, thanks for you quick reply!

8. Logiinvest says:

Thanks for this nice plugin.
    Seems to work well on my test site.

9. Hi all,

The following updates have been done in the 2.0 version of the plugin:

1. Now you can set an external CSS for styling the explanatory dictionary.
    2. You can separate the shown words (words expressions, sentences) of the explanatory dictionary by the alphabet.
    3. You can exclude the words (words expressions, sentences) from being explained by getting those words (words expressions, sentences) into [no explanation][/no explanation] tags.

10. Stendelis says:

Thanks for this nice plugin.
    This support Multilingual plugins….

11. Daniel says:

Hi Ruben,

thanks again for the great plugin. I´ve got a problem. How can I exclude the words of excerpt from featured post on the main page? I want exclude the excerpt text to explant.

Thanks
    Daniel

12. Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. If you enter the post ID in the field “Exclude” of the “Options” page, the words (words expressions, sentences) will not be explained by the plugin. But the words (words expressions, sentences) of the post will not be explained everywhere.

13. Daniel says:

Thanks for your Answer Ruben. I´ll like that the text of the posts explained on single post but not the excerpt on the main page. If it possible to exclude only excerpt on main page? You can check my homepage myemail.com (d….o.com)

14. Schalk says:

Hi
    I’ve been looking at some glossary plugins. I like MyInstant plugin, but yours has the very nice tooltip feature.
    Two things, a search button would be nice, but much more important is a import and export function, to import a complete list of terms from a csv or xls file?
    Any change of that coming?

15. Daniel,

I think this is what you want. Open the file explanatory-dictionary.php from the plugin directory and add

if(is_home()){ return $content; }

just after

global $explanatory_dictionary_plugin_prefix; (line 511)

in the function add_explanatory_dictionary_words($content).

16. Schalk,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will think about that.

17. Daniel says:

Thanks again Ruben, it work now very well :)

18. Vernessa says:

Nice job on a plugin that fills a real need for bloggers who like to educate their readers. I hope the code is showing below, but if not, this is about your reply to @Daniel on 9/23/10.

if(is_home()){ return $content; }

just after

global $explanatory_dictionary_plugin_prefix; (line 511)

in the function add_explanatory_dictionary_words($content)

Will this break (or revert) when plugin is updated next time? If so, is it possible to add this feature to the options page in the admin area?

Thanks.

19. Lars says:

GREAT little plugin here..

One thing I have been looking for is if there are different kinds of shortcodes you can write to get different views.
    Right now I am using “[explanatory dictionary]” to list my dictionary on a page, but it’s only displaying an alphabet.
    What if I would like it to display a long list of all the words instead of an alphabet? Is that possible?

Thanks, cb

20. kelljery says:

Hello,
    Thanks for this great plugin.
    Can I set the same explanation for more than one word ?
    In case a word is sometimes in singular or sometimes in plural (exemple : car and cars) I have to set 2 entry.
    When the glossary is listed on a page, it would be nicer to have the the words (car and cars) together with the explanation displayed one time.
    Thanks !
    Kelljery

21. Dana says:

This is a wonderful plugin but I keep receiving this error message whenever I go to manage my dictionary

Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive. The Traditional-Based site runs very slowly with the Explanatory Plugin so I am afraid to add it to the rest of the sites. What do I need to do?

22. Peter says:

Hi,
    Does this plugin support cyrillic words?
    I installed it, added to test tems, but it doesn’t seem to work.
    Here is a sample post:
    (best viewed in Mozilla)
    I’ve added the terms “недвижими имоти” and “професионализъм” but there are no any tooltips in the post.
    What can be wrong?

23. Hello

Vernessa, if you add the code it will be break when plugin is updated. But I will think to add a feature like this to the options page in the admin area in the next version of the plugin.

Lars, no, it is not possible now, but I have decided to include this option in the new version.

kelljery, good suggestion. I will think what can I do for this feature.

Dana, I have heart about this error first time. Can you test it from another computer? Or test it on the other website.

Peter, there is a checkbox “Unicode” in the options page of the plugin, check it and the plugin has to start to work.

Thank you for your replies.

24. Peter says:

Thanks a lot :)
    It helped.
    Great plugin!

25. Peter says:

I also want an option to show all words with a combination of the alphabet (“[explanatory dictionary]”).
    Can I change the “Word” of a definition? Double click works only for the “Explanation”.
    Regards, Peter

26. Peter says:

Temporary solution to show all definitions AND the alphabet:
    Paste between the lines:
    “$explanatory_dictionary_content .= $explanatory_dictionary_alphabet;”
    and
    “for($i=0; $i<count($explanatory_dictionary); $i++){"
    the following code (should over write the existing one):
    "$protocol = strpos(strtolower($_SERVER['SERVER_PROTOCOL']),'https')
    === FALSE ? 'http' : 'https';
    $host = $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];
    $script = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'];
    $params = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
    $currentUrl = $protocol . '://' . $host . $script . '?' . $params;

if ($currentUrl=="http://mydomain.com/index.php?page_id=23&quot😉
    $explanatory_dictionary = get_explanatory_dictionary();
    else $explanatory_dictionary = get_explanatory_dictionary($explanatory_dictionary_selected_letter);"

where "http://mydomain.com/index.php?page_id=23&quot; is the exact URL to your page with full dictionary.

This way you get all terms at once when you open your dict page, but still have the capability of alphabetically filtering them.

Good luck!

P.S. This change is in explanatory-dictionary.php.

27. Peter, thank you for your solution. I want to say that I have decided to include a feature to show all definitions in the new version.

28. Hi

I love this plugin.. is it possible to add a link box so when I define a word I can add a link to a post or page and when a user clicks on the highlighted word a new tab will open with the linked post. Now I can add a link within the explanation but I’m unable to click on it as the hover box disappears when I try and move my cursor over it.

Thanks again… I sent a donation

Craig

29. Craig Daniels,

Thank you for your reply and for your donation. Unfortunately it is not possible to add a link box now, but maybe it will be possible in one of new versions.

30. Petro says:

Hi
    Congratulations to plugins.Me really a smart move on your part Ruben.But I want to use the vocabulary that has some characters that are twins as for example: DH or TH. We [explanatory dictionary] division capitalize always placed singles. How can I do to recognize the double letters?

31. Petro, I didn’t understand what you want. Can you explain me more?

Thanks

32. Carlos says:

Hi, congratulations for the great job here… I was wondering if there is anyway to create more than one dictionary, for example:

I want a portuguese dictionary, which i´ll set in a page and when people visit this page it will only open the letters A B C D … and content for this portuguese dictionary.

I also want to create a english dictionary that will work the same way, but in another page.

I will have 2 pages, one called PORT. DICTIONARY and the other one called ENG. DICTIONARY. The content must be separeted, i cant have english and portuguese terms on the same page.

Is there any way to do that??

Thx a lot

33. Carlos, it is good idea and maybe it will be included in one of the new versions, but now the plugin hasn’t such feature.

Thank you.

34. I would love to see a sample of a website with this installed. Particularly – I would like to see how the dictionary can be placed on the site. It didn’t show up as a widget in my wordpress admin. So how do we place on the site (aside from offering linked definitions)?

35. Linda,

After the plugin activation go to the plugin menu (on the left side of admin panel, the title is “Dictionary”), select “Manage” and add words (words expressions, sentences) and explanations. After it all the words (words expressions, sentences), which you have added, will be explained in the post by tooltip.

I think my explanation is not so bad. :)

Thank you.

36. Blips says:

Nice plugin for sure. Can you switch case sensitive off? If I want to explain exposure and write Exposure is…. or I write The exposure is….. It should detect both words? (Maybe an on/off switch)

And yes I would like a full page dictionary for the readers too.

Great work!

37. Blips,

thank you for your suggestion, maybe I’ll include an on/off switch in one of the new plugins. And the full page dictionary will be included in the new version of the plugin, which will be published as soon as possible.

38. Mauricio says:

Ruben, I found very interesting this plugin. I just download it and install it. But I have not idea how to used and I not found an instruction as well. I’m really new using wordpress. My you tell me how used this plugin. Thanks!

39. Mauricio,

Thank you for using the plugin. I’ve written a comment about how to use it here: http://rubensargsyan.com/wordp.....omment-344.

40. Yoram says:

I really like the plugin, but I wish …

1.) I could get a close button or at least a solution to close the overlay when I use/visit a page/post with iPad or iPhone. On the iPad/iPhone the overlay stays after I click on it — and if I don’t click I don’t get an explanation — lack of hover on mobile devices like the iPad/iPhone.

2.) a differentiation of the case would be great — or did I miss some preferences? I wish I could differentiate between eg. “Art Director” and “art director”. That way I could go w/ english and one other language and have different explanations …

Anyway, great plugin. Thanks.

41. Mauricio says:

Ruben, I can’ t find the “manage” link.

42. Mauricio,

Click on the menu “Dictionary”, which is on the left side of admin panel, and you will see the “Manage” submenu. But be sure that the plugin is activated. :)

43. Yoram,

Thank you for your reply. I will think about your suggestions and maybe I’ll include those features in one of the new version of the plugin.

44. Mike says:

The styles are ignored. No box on tool tip, same text as page and transparent

45. Mike says:

I’m using “fusion” theme, so in User CSS pasted
    .domtooltips{ background-color: #F7FCFC; }
    .domtooltips_tooltip { background-color: #F7FCFC; border-style: outset; border-color: #45808c; padding: 4px 4px 4px 4px; }

That fixed the missing box and background.

46. Mike,

Thank you for your reply, but I tested the plugin on the theme “fusion” and it works correctly.

47. ryan says:

nice plugin.. this will help the reader
    but.. is this will confuse the reader not knowing which one is the link?

48. DSilva says:

Ruben, I also found very interesting this plugin. I just download it and install it. But I have not idea how to use and I not found an instruction as well. Your instruction in #comment-344 did not help me how to add the words in the text to have it explained. Please, could you say step-by-step how to use the plugins. Thanks

49. DSilva says:

Ruben, got it. Could we delay the time the explanation box disappear? It vanishes too fast! Thanks