The development of the current plugin is stopped. You can make the plugin development process again with the help of your donation. Thanks in advance.

Donate

This plugin is used when there are words, words expressions or sentences to be explained in the posts or pages of your WordPress blog. This plugin will help to read the explanations of the words (words expressions, sentences) you need via tooltips.

screenshot-1

In administration interface you can do the following:
1. set the explanation tooltip width
2. select the explanation tooltip text align
3. set the explanation tooltip text font size
4. set the explanation tooltip text color
5. set the explanation tooltip border size
6. set the explanation tooltip border color
7. set the explanation tooltip background color
8. set the explanation tooltip padding
9. set the explanation tooltip border radius
10. set the explaining word (words expression, sentence) color

screenshot-2

screenshot-3

Download the plugin

A great plugin definitely goes well with one of the best hosing for wordpress. Read more about it on InMotionHosting.com.

330 Comments on WordPress plugin “Explanatory Dictionary”

1. Baer says:

Can not seem to get plugin to work.
    Installed, Activated, Added word to Manage Section – but words are not being affected.

None of the words I added to manage section are working, they do no appear as the CSS defines in the plugin config screen. and there is no tool tip.

code is in footer – fyi.

2. Baer,

Can you write here the url of that website?

Thanks

3. isaac says:

Can you post an example?

4. isaac,

What example?

5. Nurtya says:

it seems, the plugin not work for a word in custom field value?

6. atmonadi says:

Hi Ruben, i’m from Indonesia. Many Thanks for your plugin. it work very well for my website http://indostuffs.com .I use also head up plugin from headup.com and no conflict. Hope your plugins also have similar features with headup for the next time. Thanks a lot.

7. Ana María says:

Ruben i got a question, it some way to add two SIMILAR words with the same meaning?
    My problem is that i’ve a word (in it’s single version and plural version) and i don’t know how to add both of them or do some way to recognize both with only one word.
    If you could help me with this i’ll really appreaciate it

8. Folla4 says:

Hi,

how can I use more than one word a time? Example:
    Word (Words Expression, Sentence): Main Page
    Explanation: The main page of your site

If I try to insert my words in this way it gives me an error.

Folla4

9. Hi all,

The following updates have been done in the 1.4 version of the plugin:

1. You can add words (words expressions, sentences) which are already existed in the words (words expressions, sentences) you added before.
    2. You can edit the explanations of the dictionary.
    3. The problem with posts images captions is solved.

10. This is a great plugin! Thanks a bunch!

One request: I have restricted the number of times a word is explained, but they are sometimes all hidden inside of previous words (ie. “style” is inside “Cascading Style Sheet”) Can that not be counted as one of the restrictions?

Thanks again,
    Ashton

11. Hello Ashton Sanders

I think it is because you have an expression “Cascading Style Sheet” with its explanation and that’s why the plugin show the explanation of “Cascading Style Sheet” and not the explanation of “style”.

Thanks

12. Tony K says:

Hello!

Thanks for the great plugin! But I think it will be more greatest if users can mark words (shortcode) in posts where plugin is will be used. Like: [explain]Term[/explain]

One more thanks!

13. Jerome Coq says:

Hi,

Thanks for this great plugin.

I found that words with french accents are not recognized by the plugin. Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards.

14. Philippe says:

Hello
    Your plugin is very interesting and I think I use for my site.
    Two questions:
    1. How to have an alphabetical list to the top as a glossary classic. That is, the letters of the alphabet which can clicker for a list of words starting with a particular letter?
    2. How do the words and their definitions appear in a search module using the site?
    This message is translated by Google Translate. If you do not understand everything, I’ll try to explain better.
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

15. Ivan says:

Very very cool plugin and thank you very much. Everything was working fine but unfortunately it can´t work together with my Simple:Press Forum (http://simple-press.com/). This is sad …

Best regards
    Ivan

16. Laurens V. says:

Hi,

I have a few remarks for this otherwise great and very valuable plugin!

– Is it possible to add a checkbox so that you can choose: CHECKED) only explain full word / NOT_CHECKED) also explain substrings
    Because now I explain “LED”, but it also explains “cancelled” ==> The “led” part, that is.
    – Is it possible to add a checkbox so that you can choose: CHECKED) only one explanation per page / NOT_CHECKED) explain every occurrence
    – Is it possible to exclude text between header tags? (or maybe even any tags the user puts in a “blacklist” in the option screen?)

Thank you, I’m a very pleased user of your plugin!

17. Laurens V. says:

I’m sorry, I just realized my second feature-request is already added to the plugin.

18. Philippe,

Thank you for your reply. You can see alphabetical glossary in the new updated version of the plugin, which will be created as soon as possible. And what about the search result, I think it is impossible to do, because WordPress doesn’t support such functions.

19. Laurens V,

Thank you for your reply.

What about your first question, you can do it if you use no unicode text. Just uncheck the checkbox “Unicode” and it will explain only full words.
    What about to exclude text between header tags, I don’t understand what you mean.

20. Jerome Coq,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you write here French accents examples, that I can test?

21. Laurens V. says:

Ruben,

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try to explain better.
    Your plugin now explains everything in the post. I wondered if there could be a list added in the options menu of your plugin, where I could enter tags to exclude. So let’s say I enter “” in the list, everything between the “h2” header tags should be ignored by the plugin.

Example post: “Hello world
    Hello there, I’m pleased to show you my blog.”

Example dictionary word: “hello => a word people use for greeting eachother”

Example result: “[ EXPLAINED]Hello[ /EXPLAINED] world
    [ EXPLAINED]Hello there, I’m pleased to show you my blog.”

What I want to do is the following: Exclude explanations between the H2 tags. So I would like to have the ability to have a list in the options-menu, where I can enter tags to exclude. Do you understand? Thanks again.

22. Laurens V. says:

My post isn’t clear because wordpress strips the html-tags I used… Maybe you can see them when you edit my post.

Another thing I noticed: sometimes a word doesn’t get explained. Compare these two pages:

Here, the word “krimpkous” should be explained. It doesn’t on the first page, but it does on the second. It’s both the same: both in a list. Why is that?

23. Laurens V,

Thank you again for your replies.

What about the new option – I think I understood what you want and I will try to add something like that option in the plugin as soon as possible.

And I saw that the word “krimpkous” isn’t explained at the page http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....ersie-1/2/. There is an option for excluding pages and posts, maybe you have excluded that page?

24. Laurens V. says:

Ruben, I didn’t exclude posts. (I double checked). I did however put “1” in the field below it: (to let the plugin explain only one instance per page).

I noticed a bug. Your plugin breaks when I use quotes (like this => “) in the explanation. Example:

Hello there, I’m pleased to show you “my blog”. => The “my blog” part fails. I suggest you “escape” the quotes. (the same issue + solution is explained here: http://en.forums.wordpress.com.....?replies=5 )

Or you could also advise users not to use quotes. :)

Kind regards,
    Laurens

25. Laurens V,

Thank you again. :)

I think that the explanation is not shown at http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....ersie-1/2/, because http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....ersie-1/2/ and http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....-versie-1/ are the same post. And as you put 1 explanation per post, the explanation is already shown at http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....-versie-1/ and the end. I think you understand what I mean.

And what about the bug, i have already known about it and it will be fixed in the new version of the plugin.

Best regards,
    Ruben

26. Laurens V. says:

Thanks for the feedback.

The solution you suggested was not right (because it did work on other pages with multiple occurrences). However I found out it was a problem with the regular expression. I found a working regular expression here: http://www.webdeveloper.com/fo.....68389.html (solution by nogdog)

It replaces every occurrence of the word, except when it is between HMTL tags. I figured out that was exactly what was needed, so I tried it and it worked. :) I hope you can incorporated it successfully in your code.

This was your code:

This was the working code:
    [code]$content = preg_replace(‘/\b’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].'(?![^)/i'[/code]

I know there is a reason why u used your regular expression (probably you want to exclude replacement between [ and ] too, but maybe you can’t OR that with this type of regular expression?) What do you think?

27. Laurens V,

Yes, the regular expression is written so that the words in [ and ] not been replaced. And I don’t remember why I have done so, but it is really needed. :)

28. Laurens V. says:

I agree, but maybe there is a syntax error because now it works with me and if I revert it to your version, it doesn’t work anymore.

29. Laurens V,

I hadn’t seen – my code is [code]$content = preg_replace(‘/\b’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].’\b(?![^\[]*\]|[^< ]*>)/i'[/code], it is not [code]$content = preg_replace(‘/\b’.$explanatory_dictionary[$i][‘word’].'(?![^\[]*\]|[^)/i'[/code]. Maybe you have changed the plugin code?

30. Laurens V. says:

You’re right that’s the code. If you check http://www.quantummods.be/226/.....ersie-1/2/, you’ll notice that right now there is a word explained. That’s with my version of the code. (the [ and ] filter removed)

I changed it to your version to test it, but somehow the explanation then disappears. (on other pages, everything works fine though). I just don’t understand why your code doesn’t work while mine does. (except for the [] part – which I haven’t tested and I don’t need)

31. Laurens V. says:

Hi, great news! I changed your regular expression into a different form. It should do exactly what it needs to do (also your requirement!) and it displays all the wanted explanations correctly! That’s great. Please check it out and maybe integrate it into the code.

[code]’\b(?![^< |\[]*[>|\]])/i'[/code]

I changed it like this:

Your version: NOT([A+multiplechars+B]OR[C+multiplechars+D])
    My version: NOT([A OR C]+multiplechars+[B OR D])

Kind regards,
    Laurens Vercaigne

32. Laurens V,

It will be changed in the new version, which will be created soon.

33. Valentin says:

Hey !
    Great Plugin thanks !

The radius in not working on Chrome :/ and it’s a shame for the French community.
    It is impossible to insert symbols ” ‘ :/

Thanks you !

34. Valentin,

Thank you for your reply.

The radius works only for Firefox. What about the single and double quotes, the problem is because WordPress automatically converts the single and double quotes to left and right single quotation marks and left and right double quotation marks respectively.

And can you say why it is a shame for the French community.

35. Li-An says:

Very good plugin. I was searching a thing like this for some times. But I met a little problem: the terms are found even in links so it breaks a part of a link.

36. Li-An,

What do you mean saying “the terms are found even in links so it breaks a part of a link”?

37. Li-An says:

Take a look at this page: http://www.li-an.fr/wpplugins/.....e-plugins/
    I use your plugin for the term “quicktag” and you can see it in action in a link (Add Quicktag)

38. Michael says:

I was helping a friend with a site, and he had a dictionary / lexicon for terms (comics). I knew I had seen a plugin like this a while ago and found this one again. It worked great, but I got to thinking how much better it could be with some adjustments for long lists.

I’ve modified the plugin to generate letter groupings from the terms, skipping unused letters in the range, sublist navigation jumps, as well as moved the list of terms and definitions to a proper dl / dt / dd usage instead of just h4s and paragraphs. I also applied many of the same CSS selectors for some fun highlighting and added the webkit, khtml and regular css border-radius selectors. I also added a glossary term-definition delimiter option so that no items are modified for the change in tag usage.

I know this could possibly cause a slight Unicode sorting issue for indexes because of a few of PHP’s limits but I’m sure that most uses could be adjusted or exempted since there’s already a Unicode flag.

Take a look at http://superfriendsofdorothy.com/lexicon/ for the results, I’d be happy to send you the files to merge with the master and a little note cause I figure a branching would be bad overall.

39. Michael says:

Also, don’t know if you’ve seen it, but you might look into swapping out for the very popular jQuery tooltip plugin to reduce some maintenance: http://bassistance.de/jquery-p.....n-tooltip/

40. Li-An,

OK, I see it. In the new version of the plugin I will create a feature, that you can take the words in the special tag and those words will not be explained.

41. Michael,

Very nice glossary. But when I wanted to create an alphabetic glossary, I encountered with a problem. The problem is that there are many alphabets in the world and I cannot create the alphabetic glossary for just English language.

What about jQuery tooltip plugin, I think there is no need to use that. Everything is OK with the tooltip of my plugin. :)

But I will give you my email, that you can send me the files. Maybe I will find there codes which will be merged with the master. :)

Thank you.

42. Laurens V. says:

Michael:

That glossery looks very professional! It would be great if it could be merged (perhaps enabled optionally?) with this plugin.
    Ruben: I understand when you say there are many alphabets in the world, but that could be fixed… You could select all dictionary words in a query, the sort them alphabetically and then take the substring of the first letter –> that way it doesn’t matter what alphabet you use: the computer would sort it for us: no need to manually code all letters. Let the computer sort it out.

This would be a marvellous addition to an otherwise great plugin.

Kind regards

43. Laurens V,

For example if someone has several words in English, several words in Spanish and several words in French in the explanatory dictionary, what type of alphabet it will be looked like? :) There can be also 3 letters “a” – one English “a”, one Spanish “a” and one French “a”. :)

44. Marcelo says:

Ruben, your plugin is great.

I have some suggestions to improve it even more.

1. You could have an option so that the user can write css classes for the terms and they would be applied. I mean, you have put many options there, but I wanted the terms to be underlined with dots (dotted ul). And maybe other people want to style it differently.

2. The plugin should be able to generate a full paged dictionary, divided by letter. It could be optional and the user would create and sort the pages. For example: I would put [explanatorydictionary letter=”A”] on a page I created and it would show a table of terms and explanation on the site.

Anyway, your plugin is awesome, I will donate and if I were you I would have some sort of advanced features and charge like $5 for them. Good luck to you!

45. Marcelo,

I will include your suggested features in the special version of the plugin and I will take $5 from them who wants it. :)

P.S.
    I will send the special version to you for free, as the idea giver of that. :)

46. manuel says:

Hi

I write in spanish and the plugin does not seem to work with special characters, any suggestion?

Thanks

47. manuel,

Can you write here words examples that the plugin does not seem to work.

48. Thomas says:

Would be nice with support for line breaks, br tags and separators don’t seem to work making the otherwise helpful overlay a deadly wall of text :)

49. Thomas says:

Oh forgot, any symbols please, i can’t even use quotations marks :) Very nice plugin though, but this is a serious annoyance.

50. manuel,

I tested the words España and niño and the plugin worked correctly.