The development of the current plugin is stopped. You can make the plugin development process again with the help of your donation. Thanks in advance.

Donate

This plugin is used when there are words, words expressions or sentences to be explained in the posts or pages of your WordPress blog. This plugin will help to read the explanations of the words (words expressions, sentences) you need via tooltips.

screenshot-1

In administration interface you can do the following:
1. set the explanation tooltip width
2. select the explanation tooltip text align
3. set the explanation tooltip text font size
4. set the explanation tooltip text color
5. set the explanation tooltip border size
6. set the explanation tooltip border color
7. set the explanation tooltip background color
8. set the explanation tooltip padding
9. set the explanation tooltip border radius
10. set the explaining word (words expression, sentence) color

screenshot-2

screenshot-3

Download the plugin

A great plugin definitely goes well with one of the best hosing for wordpress. Read more about it on InMotionHosting.com.

330 Comments on WordPress plugin “Explanatory Dictionary”

1. Tomer says:

Hi there!
    Thanks for the great plug-in! it works perfectly!
    However I have one question regarding the time on which the tooltip appear, how can I make it longer, right now it appears for about 2 seconds and its too short for me.
    Thanks again (and donation coming soon)
    Tom

2. Ruben Sargsyan says:

You mean that you want the tooltip appears after several seconds, not right away?

3. Hi, I’m testing your awesome plugin on a website. It actually works but the tooltip box appears about 400px right from the explaining word.
    Can this be related to the used theme?

Thx

4. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Yes, it is related to the used theme. Open the style.css of the theme and look if there isn’t “position: relative;” in #page{…} or in #wrap {…}. Comment it and everything must be OK with plugin work.

5. Bloody says:

I add in “explanatory-dictionary.php”, the tag “type=”text/css” (line 357) to have a better markup. :)
    Will it be possible in the next version to use only the style sheet file “explanatory-dictionary-style.css” ?

6. Ruben Sargsyan says:

All the proposals will be taken into consideration after the new version update.

Thank You!!!

7. Bloody says:

Ruben. Making following your email. I wanted to say to you why not use only external style sheet on the next version.
    And not both (external and internal), as in the current version.
    Sorry for english, English is not my native language. I’m french. 😉

8. Ruben Sargsyan says:

OK. It will be used only external style sheet on the next version.

Thank You for yous suggestion!!!

9. Bloody says:

Sorry, I forgot something.

Before to obtain tooltips of definition, I used the plugin IMM-Glossary.

But this one doesn’t work anymore since the version 2.8.6 of WordPress.

But it had one thing cool. It made possible to create a page of all the definitions. See an example here.

Could you adapt something like that on the next version ?

10. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Good idea!!! :)

Maybe in the next version of the plugin it will be something like that!!!

Thank You again!!!

11. Bloody says:

Thanks Ruben !!

It will cool if you do that.

12. Anna says:

Hi I’m trying out your plugin, I am having the same problem as Mirko Grewing , in that the tooltip doesn’t appear near the word. In fact sometimes it doesn’t appear at all or I get part of it. The default wordpress theme works fine, but not with my theme. I didn’t understand your reply on what needed to be changed in the CSS to get round this.
    Could you explain what I need to change/add to ensure the tooltip is shown near the word/sentence.
    Thank you in advance.

13. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Open style.css of the theme and find #page or #wrap, then in the { } of it find and comment the line “position: relative;”.

14. Nate says:

Great plug-in, Reuben!

I’m seconding the request for an option to use an external CSS file.

Also, it would be great to have a way to edit definitions, as well as link to a specific page (with more in-depth explanations, examples, etc.)

15. Nate says:

I got ambitious and popped in the linking and CSS changes this morning (haven’t made an editable version yet), as well as made the replacement scan look for *exact* matches.

I need to tweak the regex for the matching to work a little better, though.

I can send diffs if you’d like (or a copy of the entire plugin, if you’d prefer).

16. elaine says:

hi there
    I’ve downloaded the plug-in, activated it, defined two word phrases….created a new blog post….

now what??? are the explanatory dictionary boxes supposed to just automatically appear in my posts??

how do I activate the defined words I want?

when I created a new post, and Previewed it, my defined words are not underlined or show up in red.

when I actually Published the post, the defined words were not underlined/red or activated for the dictionary.

17. Ruben Sargsyan says:

18. MWatson says:

Your plugin is awesome! It saves me the trouble of trying to create and code a dictionary page. Great work!

19. Levente Dudas says:

Hi Ruben.

I have installed the Explanatory Dictionary plugin and configured it – it was very easy.
    I am using the Suffusion Theme ( http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/suffusion ) for my company’s wordpress blogsite.
    Also, I saw comments on explanation cloud showing far away from the word/phrase it explains.
    The very same happens to me as well, though I have done the changes You have suggested. It simply does not work for me.

Maybe the theme I use is to “complicated”?

Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

20. elaine says:

Ruben,

You wrote: “Make sure that the code is included in your theme’s footer.php file just before the line.”

Are you referring to my question? or someone else?

Also: I do not understand your comment. Place the code before WHICH line in the footer???

Thank you very much for your help. I really like the plug in…hope I can use it!!

21. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Elaine,

“Make sure that the code <?php wp_footer(); ?> is included in your theme’s footer.php file just before the </body> line.”

The above-mentioned is addressed to you and to the people having the same problem.

Sorry, I have forgotten the “</body>”. :)

22. elaine says:

Ruben,
    thank you so much.

The code in my footer DOES contain the code you mention. However, there is no “” tag in that footer.php file.

I am pasting where the code is so you can see….I am using the Builder Theme from iThemes.

Is the dictionary supposed to show up automatically when this code is included in the footer?? If the code is already there, I’m not sure why the plug in does not work.

If you can help, that would be great…thanks so much for your valuable time!

function render_footer() {
    $footer_credit = ‘iThemes Builder by iThemesPowered by WordPress‘;
    $footer_credit = apply_filters( ‘builder_footer_credit’, $footer_credit );

?>

23. Looks great, but I have installed this plugin on two different WordPress blogs (2.9 and 2.9.1) and neither appears to allow the addition of terms. I tried adding several, but none appear in the list after I hit “Add” on the admin page.

Any ideas?

24. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Richard V. Burckhardt,

Which theme do you use on that WordPress versions? And can you write here the urls of the blogs?

Thanks

25. I first tried it on my blog – http://www.weboptimist.com/ using the iBlog 1.0.7 Theme. The other is http://www.framesdirectblog.com/ which is using the Metro WordPress Theme 1.0 .

Whan I try to add words and an explanation, they don’t appear in the list.

Richard

26. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Richard V. Burckhardt,

I tried to add words and explanations by using the themes you’ve written and it worked!! And WordPress version was 2.9.1.

Can you write how you try to add the words and explanations??

Thanks

27. I click on Dictionary in the left nav of admin, then on Manage. I then add a Word and an Explanation then click the “Add” button. The screen refreshes but I don’t see the new Word in the list.

28. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Richard V. Burckhardt,

Can you write here an example word and explanation that you have added.

29. Word: astigmatism
    Explanation: A misshape of the eye, where vision is blurred by an irregularly shaped cornea. The cornea, instead of being shaped like a sphere, is ellipsoidal (like an egg) and reduces the cornea’s ability to focus light.

30. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Richard V. Burckhardt,

Is there an error when you want to add the word and explanation?

31. greg says:

Ruben,

What an absolutely brilliant plugin – I am very impressed – it will save me hours of work – thank you!

Only one issue, I also use ‘Light Social’ at the bottom of my posts and your ‘tooltips’ display behind the ‘Light Social’ graphics – can you think of an easy fix.

I have placed ‘Light Social’ at the top of the post temporarily to address the problem – but the bottom of the post would be better.

Once again thanks

greg

32. Ruben Sargsyan says:

greg,

Thank you for your suggestion. The problem will be fixed in the new version. And now you can change the explanatory-dictionary-style.css file and add z-index: 100; like this

.domtooltips div{
    position: absolute;
    z-index: 100;
    }

Thank you again!!!

33. greg says:

Ruben,

Thank you, works perfectly – such a quick response and right on the money!

Very impressed!

Thanks

greg

34. senthil says:

ruben,
    hello i am new for the wordpress…. i instaled the dictonary, but i dont know how to use it ….. please tell me the method to use it…

senthil

35. Ruben Sargsyan says:

senthil,

When you install the plugin a new menu item “Dictionary” appears. Click on it, go to “Manage” and add a word (words expression, sentence) and explanation. And all words (which you will add), in the pages and posts, will show a tooltip with the explanation of it when the mouse will be over it.

Thanks

36. senthil says:

ruben,

thank you for the response..it will useful for me i saw the different in the pages .. thanks ..but … one more question that where will i see the “post”..please..tell me .

37. Hi,

Thanks for a great plugin, it really looks nice. I have two suggestion for the future of the plugin. If you provide those features your plugin would be much better.

1- Specifying whether an article or a page should include the tooltip explanations your plugin produces. This is because sometimes I write articles that include some words that have different meanings in the programming articles I write for Java. I want those words to have tooltips in some articles but not in others.

2- Creating a page automatically out of the words added to the dictionary so that anybody can go there and see all of the words.

Best regards,

38. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Akin Kaldiroglu,

Thank you very much.

Your proposed feature 1 will be included in one of the updated versions by all means.

But the feature 2 is already included in the 1.1 version. But the page isn’t created automatically because maybe someone doesn’t want to have the page. To show all words (words expressions, sentences) with their explanations in a post or a page add [explanatory dictionary] in it.

Thanks

39. Hi there,

Just a short note to congratulate you on a great plugin.

Will you be considering the making of the full page (or indeed alphabetically listed pages) of words added? This way you actually have a dictionary AND a glossary tool which would be absolutely fantastic.

Cheers

40. Jay Thompson says:

Fabulous plugin!

One feature request — it would be great if you could limit the display to the first use of the term (or perhaps even pick and choose which terms in the post display the tool tip).

For example, in my post on short sales (http://www.phoenixrealestategu.....hort-sale/) EVERY instance of the term “short sale” is highlighted. (And yes, I use the term way too often). It’s kind of annoying to have it display so many times. It would be great if I could set the plugin to only highlight the term the first time it was used.

41. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Steve Dickson,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, but can you explain it in details?

Thanks

42. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Jay Thompson,

Good suggestion. It will be included in one of the updated versions by all means.

Thank you very much!!!

43. Hi Ruben,

What I am meaning is like this.

I have a site that I wished to write a glossary of terms for. It seems that there are no really good plugins around for that at the moment. This glossary I would have liked to be able to put a word (or phrase) into and it would then show on a page within WordPress (similar to the official WordPress glossary at http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary although as you can see a long list does make it a bit unmanageable). I may well have hundreds of words so it would be good if each letter of the alphabet had its own page and that there was an alphabar at the top with each letter having its own clickable link.

I also wanted a dictionary function, the exact one you provide and which works wonderfully.

I started to think that it would be great if your plugin offered a glossary function as above as I had already inpur many of the words anyway and it would be great if it were dual function.

If each letter could not have its own page no big problem but it certainly would look better presentation wise.

It would be great to have a button on the “Manage” page which the user could mark for it to be added to the dictionary and/or the Glossary. This would mean that you tool would be dual purpose. It could be used as a dictionary and a glossary, or just as a dictionary or just as a glossary.

I appreciate that you do a heck of a lot of work as a volunteer. I do the same at a well known directory!!! I tried to make a small donation through your plugin button. Unfortunately it will not allow the transaction through Paypal.

Thanks again for all of your work.

44. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Steve Dickson,

I understood your suggestion. It is good and I will do something like it in one of the new versions.

Thank you very much.

45. Thanks for your explanation Ruben. I created a new page that displays all of the word-explanation pairs. That’s great.
    And I agree with Jay Thompson regarding the limiting display of the explanation to the first occurrence.

Best regards,

46. Hi Ruben,

Sorry to trouble you again.

I am using the [explanatory dictionary] command to create a page with all of the words in it but it seems to be getting the spacing wrong on my page. Is this because of a CSS problem on my site?

You can see it in the page at http://www.pokerblackbelt.co.uk/poker-glossary/ As you can see there is a line break between the word and the definition but then no line break between the definition and the next word. It would be great if I could have it the other way about with the definition on the line after the word and a line break between it and the next word. Do you have any clue how I can sort this?

Thanks for your time.

47. Sorry me again.

Forgot to ask.

It will not let me input a phrase and a word that is similar. An example of this is the phrase Mixed Marriage goes in fine with its definition but if I try and then put in Marriage it just says error and won’t allow it.

48. Ruben Sargsyan says:

Steve Dickson,

To customize the explanatory dictionary page, open the style.css of the theme and write there:

h4.explanatory_dictionary_word{
    /* Here write the style of the explanatory dictionary words*/
    }

span.explanatory_dictionary_explanation{
    /* Here write the style of the explanatory dictionary explanations*/
    }

An example for you:

h4.explanatory_dictionary_word{
    margin-top: 20px;
    }

span.explanatory_dictionary_explanation{
    margin-top: 5px;
    }

It can you do from admin panel in one of the plugin new versions.

And about “It will not let me input a phrase and a word that is similar.”. It is because, if the mouse is over the word “Marriage” what explanation it have to show? Explanation of “Mixed Marriage” or explanation about “Marriage”? That’s why it doesn’t let you to do it.

49. Hi Ruben,

Worked great. Thank you.

I see what you mean with regards the single word and a phrase containing the single word. It wouldn’t know which explanation to choose.

The problem with that is that I have several instances where it could be used to recognise different single words which are part of phrase. Another example is I need definitions for the word blinds and the two phrases small blind and big blind. It takes the phrases perfectly well but obviously won’t take the single word. Would it be an idea to write something in that the program knew to use the phrase rather than the single word. Some thing like when inputting a phrase like small blind as -small-blind- so that it would only recognise the whole phrase then if blind was put in it would recognise this as a single word and use this explanation.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your continued support.

50. Steve Dickson,

I understood your suggestion and I would try to solve that problem. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Best Regards